PhotobucketWhy Be Frugal?

I consider frugality an art form and a religious conviction. I learned about paying cash for purchases, recycling and reusing just about everything and being generous to friends and those in need from my parents.

My faith instructs me all things are gifted by God and so I am compelled to be a good steward of my gifts. [The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to man. Psalm 115:16]

Photobucket

Monday, January 10, 2011

Savory Beef Make Ahead Dinner

As promised on facebook, here's the Savory Beef recipe from Once-A-Month Cooking.


2 lbs. Beef round tip steak (I used stew beef/bought on sale)
1 C sliced fresh mushrooms
1 sliced onion
3 TBS vegetable oil
3 TBS all-purpose flour
2 C water & 2 beef bouillon cubes (I used 2 C beef broth)
2 TBS tomato paste
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dill weed
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 8 oz package wide egg noodles*

Cut beef into thin strips (if using tip steak). Sprinkle beef with pepper, and set aside in a cool place. In a heavy skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in oil until golden; remove them from skillet. Put meat in same skillet; cook and stir beef on all sides until brown. Remove meat and set aside.

Blend flour into the oil in skillet, gradually adding water/bouillon or broth. Stir constantly until smooth and slightly thick. mix in tomato paste, dry mustard, oregano, dill week and Worcestershire sauce. Stir meat, mushrooms and onions into sauce. Cool meat mixture and freeze. (After the mixture cools for a few minutes, I place it all in a zip-lock bag to store in the freezer).

To prepare for serving, thaw beef. *Prepare noodles according to package directions. Heat beef in saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it's bubbly. Serve meat over noodles. Makes 6 servings.

Serve with: Green beans and/or salad and rolls.

Use any leftover beef for sandwiches.

This is so yummy and one of my family's favorites.

******
Tomorrow I will have a guest blogger, Roxanne Peterson, offer some advice on saving money by buying items second hand. Roxie has written extensively for numerous financial planning and mortgage industry websites.

I think you'll enjoy what she has to share. Would you like to be a guest blogger on Just Be Frugal? Just leave me a comment letting me know your topic and I'll get in touch!

Stop by tomorrow to read Roxie's suggestions on how to buy second-hand without sacrificing quality.

1 comment:

RCUBEs said...

Sounds yummy! I just want to say HI to you sister and Happy New Year! May this be a year filled with His richest blessings for you!