PhotobucketWhy Be Frugal?

I consider frugality an art form and a religious conviction. I learned about paying cash for purchases, recycling and reusing just about everything and being generous to friends and those in need from my parents.

My faith instructs me all things are gifted by God and so I am compelled to be a good steward of my gifts. [The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to man. Psalm 115:16]

Photobucket

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Happy Memorial Day

I spent 2 hours at Kroger this morning!  I used all but two coupons, then used one I found that someone had opted not to use:  2 rolls of Heavy Duty Reynolds wrap - on sale and then with the coupon, it was CHEAP.  I usually don't buy national brands of wraps, but this deal made it quite a bit cheaper than the store/generic brands. Happy dance:-)

I bought 10 pounds of chicken leg quarters ($.69/lb), 4 packs of Ball Park franks, 4/$5. These two plus my found bargain were the best deals of the day, but I saved almost 30% on my total so I was pretty pleased. 

I bought the few ingredients I lacked for all the recipes I plan to cook tomorrow, and lots of items for our birthday (my 24 yr old son)/Memorial Day cookout with family (including my Dad who will be visiting from Seattle!

Our birthday/Memorial Day menu:
Turkey burgers, sirloin burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, deviled eggs, watermelon, corn on the cob, tossed salad.  Birthday cake will be a patriotic yellow cake mix, whipped topping with blueberries and sliced strawberries (flag).

Click HERE for recipe.
Eggs just finished boiling. One frozen and one "make from storebought whole-wheat crust" pizza are in the oven for dinner - we'll have leftover zucchini and some frozen brussel sprouts. I'll boil potatoes tonight. Tomorrow, I'll work on the potato salad, deviled eggs and freezer recipes:

Brownies,
Pizza Pockets
Banana Bread
Chicken Brocolli Rice Casserole

using recipes I found at moneysavingmom as part of her 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer series.

What are you fixing for Memorial Day?

Just be frugal,
Mary

No comments: