PhotobucketWhy Be Frugal?

I consider frugality an art form and a religious conviction. I learned about paying cash for purchases, recycling and reusing just about everything and being generous to friends and those in need from my parents.

My faith instructs me all things are gifted by God and so I am compelled to be a good steward of my gifts. [The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to man. Psalm 115:16]

Photobucket

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Back to Cooking from Scratch

I used to cook and bake almost everything from scratch. When I went back to work full time several years ago, that practice gradually fell by the wayside. In my latest "spend less on food" adventure, I've been looking for good, easy, relatively inexpensive meals. Thought I'd share part of tonight's dinner first:

Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dip from All You! May 2011 issue


Prep: 15 mins.
Cook: 40 min. Chill: up to 2 hours
Serves:10 (3 of us finished these off quickly!)
Cost per serving $1.61

Dip:
4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 TBS red wine vinegar
1 TBS lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Wings:
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cut hot sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot) I used 1/8 of a cup!
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 TBS spicy brown mustard
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBS sugar
4 TBS unsalted butter
3 lb. chicken wings, tips removed, wings separated at joints (I bought a bag of these frozen and all ready to go)

Make dip ahead and refrigerate

Preheat oven to 450 deg. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.

In a small pan or microwave safe bowl, combine all sauce ingredients, heat until blended. Coat wings. Cook for 40 minutes.

Enjoy!

Stay tuned! Coming up: Apricot Round Steak, Hero Joe Sandwiches, Unstuffed Pepper Bake.

One way we've been saving on our grocery bill is to purchase groceries through Angel Food Ministries.

No comments: