PhotobucketWhy Be Frugal?

I consider frugality an art form and a religious conviction. I learned about paying cash for purchases, recycling and reusing just about everything and being generous to friends and those in need from my parents.

My faith instructs me all things are gifted by God and so I am compelled to be a good steward of my gifts. [The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to man. Psalm 115:16]

Photobucket

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Impromptu shopping can still yield mega savings

I really did not feel like leaving the house today, but after going through my coupon file, I realized lots of them were expiring today! I checked the Kroger ad on line and then matched up as many coupons as I could.

Many of their items were 50% off or buy one get one free that I matched with coupons: Athenos Hummus (also on sale), candy bars (on sale) (buy 2 get one free), Hillshire Farms Sausage (1/2 price), select Kellogg's cereals (50% off).

I also got 4 bags M&M's on sale @ 2/$6 and used 2-$1.00 off 2 bags coupons.
2 bottles Spice Island Vanilla on sale @ $4.99 each and used $1.00 off 2 spice island products.
Slimrite (Kroger brand SlimFast) on sale for $6.99 - used $1.50 off 8 pack Catalina coupon from a previous visit.

Lunchables were on sale @ 3/$6.

Kroger Wholesome Home Classic Pizzas were on sale @ 2/$10.


I had 5 reusable bags @ $.05 each; used my son's employee discount on Kroger products ($3.17 total)
Finally, I bought bag of bows for 50% off.

My final savings = 35%

To the woman behind me in line at the checkout who wasn't very happy that I asked the cashier to ensure the bows were 1/2 price and then handed him all my coupons: deal with it:-)

Initial total: $179.16
I paid: $113.92!

Not bad for what was technically and impromptu trip to the grocery store!

Finally . . . I used my Kroger 123 Rewards Visa Card - giving me a reward of: 3 points for Kroger brands; 2 points for non-Kroger brands purchased at Kroger. So far we've earned $10 in rewards - and by February, by the time they pay out their rewards, I plan to have at least $20.

I understand tomorrow's paper will have FOUR coupon inserts!! I can't decide if I want 3 or 4 Sunday papers . . .

No comments: