PhotobucketWhy Be Frugal?

I consider frugality an art form and a religious conviction. I learned about paying cash for purchases, recycling and reusing just about everything and being generous to friends and those in need from my parents.

My faith instructs me all things are gifted by God and so I am compelled to be a good steward of my gifts. [The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to man. Psalm 115:16]

Photobucket

Monday, May 21, 2012

Freezer + planning ahead equals frugal - and smart!

Latest adventures in frugal living:  This weekend we decided to abstain from eating out for the next 3 months. It will be quite challenging for us, but we're going to give it a shot and are looking forward to the money we'll save.  We want to purchase several new appliances - not just want! We're holding our breath that everything will keep working for a while! We really DO want to pay cash whenever possible as well.

My husband and I also were not thrilled with the detailed reports we received at our most recent annual physicals so we examined ways to be healthier. One of things we've changed in our diets is that we're avoiding processed lunch meat and other highly processed foods (like Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones, etc. and other frozen ready made meals and snacks).  The sodium content in most of them is so high and we realized we can make our own frozen dinners/ lunches from scratch for a lot less. What I'm really excited about is that my husband has really "bought in" to our new lifestyle!  He's just as committed as I am and that will make a huge difference!

Tonight I assembled Ham biscuits, wrapped in packs of two and stored in the plastic bag the rolls were packed in - in the freezer--bought Hawaiian dinner rolls at 1/2 price last night ($1.79) & used part of 1/4 Spiral sliced ham I bought on sale and with a coupon. I wrapped them in plastic and stuck them back in plastic bag the rolls were packed in.

Then I assembled Ham sandwiches - spiral sliced ham and Sandwich Thins  (purchased on sale with a coupon) and in the freezer.

Finally, I cut up canteloupe and Strawberries and stuck them in rubbermaid containers - ready for snacking.

This weekend I made breakfast sandwiches with English Muffins (on sale--BOGO), Canadian Bacon, Egg, Cheese) and when I calculated the cost it was less than $1 each:-)

Tomorrow night I have a class and my husband and son have everning activities as well. I will pack a sandwich and some fruit for my dinner. They guys will have leftover smoked sausages on buns and some salad (which I'm getting ready to mix up now).

What are some lifestyle changes you've made lately for your physical or financial well-being?

Just be frugal,
Mary

No comments: