PhotobucketWhy Be Frugal?

I consider frugality an art form and a religious conviction. I learned about paying cash for purchases, recycling and reusing just about everything and being generous to friends and those in need from my parents.

My faith instructs me all things are gifted by God and so I am compelled to be a good steward of my gifts. [The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to man. Psalm 115:16]

Photobucket

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cooking From My Stockpile

True to my word in my earlier post, Big Stockpiling Step, I have been preparing meals and plan to use recipes based on the items I have on hand.

The other day I fixed in the crock pot, what my husband declared is THE BEST pork loin recipe ever! He raved about it and my son even commented that he didn't need a knife to cut the meat!

I bought a 3.5 lb pork loin on sale at Kroger on Tuesday night, cut it in half and put 1/2 in the freezer. Here's the recipe I fixed:
1.5-2lb. pork tenderloin
1 oz. envelope dry onion soup mix
3 TBS minced garlic (I used a dried garlic mix I had on hand)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup red wine vinegar (the recipe calls for red wine--I didn't have any on hand)
3 TBS soy sauce

Place pork tenderloin in slow cooker with contents of soup packet/onion mix and garlic/garlic mix. Pour water, wine and soy sauce over the top, turning the pork to coat.

I allowed the tenderloin to sit overnight in the fridge, turned it over in the morning and cooked for 4 hours on low.

I served brown rice with a bit of the liquid from the crock pot and stir-fry vegetables.

Yum, yum, yum.

My husband had a sandwich with sliced tenderloin the next day and even commented how good the sandwich was!

I'm going to chop up the remainder of the meat and freeze it in a zip lock bag. I'll use it a 'throw together' soup or other dish later.

Today, I'm going to cook up the beef roast in the crock pot (purchased on sale this week) and will mix up some white chili using turkey left over from Christmas from the freezer. Finally, will make a batch of salsa-beef chili using 1 lb. of ground turkey we bought on sale.

Signing off so I can get cooking!

Just be Frugal!
Mary

No comments: