PhotobucketWhy Be Frugal?

I consider frugality an art form and a religious conviction. I learned about paying cash for purchases, recycling and reusing just about everything and being generous to friends and those in need from my parents.

My faith instructs me all things are gifted by God and so I am compelled to be a good steward of my gifts. [The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to man. Psalm 115:16]

Photobucket

Sunday, January 10, 2010

What to Do When You Can't Use Your Gift Card


So many of us received gift cards for Christmas. Our family is fortunate, in that we are able to use (if we haven't already) each of the cards we received as gifts this year. Sometimes, though, you may receive a gift card from a store you don't or don't want to shop.

Well, all is not lost! Mary Ann Romans at Families.com has some great suggestions on how to make the best of an otherwise undesirable gift card. CLICK HERE to read her ideas.

Mary Ann reminds us that in August of 2010 a new law will go into effect that will require that gift cards be valid for at least five years without expiring. Won't that be great?

In the mean time, check out Mary Ann's advice on how to make the best of your situation.


Check back here often for more great ideas, tips and techniques for making the most of your money--no matter how much or how little you have!

15 comments:

Andrea said...

Great post! and awesome suggestion!
Blessings,
andrea

Tammy said...

Great ideas!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for the informatin. Here in California ours never expire, it makes it really nice!

rcubes said...

Awesome sister Mary! I know we need to be "frugal"...Thank you for the tips. Blessings.

homeschool101 said...

Awesome sharings. I absolutely refuse paying with plastic. I will use Gift cards - If I am flat broke and in dier need for diapers, food or gas for the truck otherwise I pay cash with everything. The only bad thing about gift cards is soon there will be new changes along with expieration changes. They will now start charging you a fee after Dec. of 2010. So any remaining money you have on a gift card they can charge you for it remaining on the card. So I am pulling away from the Gift cards. I just assume use my cash. :) Great blog. Thanks for sharing.

Deborah said...

This is a great blog! I am looking forward to reading more frugal tips! I need all the help I can get!
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge regifter. ;)

The Red Brick Farmhouse said...

Hi, Mary~

We have a wonderful friend in common, Andrea. What a beautiful lady with such a kind spirit and a heart as big as her precious smile.

I just re-posted my homemade laundry detergent recipe and Andrea suggested I stop by and let you know about it, so here I am!

I am a stay-at-homeschool-mom and a huge "frugal female" so I will be stopping by and grabbing some more frugal tips from you.

Congratulations on your new blog. I wish you the best of luck with it!

Blessings to you, new friend~
Laura

Libbie said...

i never met a gift card I didn't like :)

Thanks for all the tips Mary!

Lisa Smith said...

I never met a gift card I couldn't spend...until I got visa gift cards this year. I have one with 82 cents left on it and cannot use it anywhere. Each store says it has to have at least a dollar. Totally frustrating!! My advice is to use it for the whole amount at one time!

nice to meet you and your blog is sooooo cute and useful =)

Unknown said...

Looking great over here, girl!

Blessings on your new venture!

God-hugs,
Cheri

Edie said...

You are a wealth of information!
Oh look, I made a pun. :)

Nancy said...

Mary - What a fun new post. Andrea sent us over here. Thanks Andrea. I got a gift card for a pedicure for Christmas. I wanted to wait till May so I could look cute in sandals. Well, the place went out of business, and I lost out!

I am so frugal I tear up papers with a blank side that come in the mail and use them for notes to myself. They're free!

Jackie said...

Jumped over from Arise to Write and so glad I did!!

Looking forward to following your valued info!!

Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Jo said...

Hi, Mary--thank you so much for your encouraging words on my blog. I am only too pleased to become a follower of yours.

In a post from back in November titled 'It's Alive' (located in my 'Diary Of A Sad Housewife' blog. If the below link doesn't work, you can get to my 'Housewife' blog in my profile and then go to archives), I detail some of how I made it through this past year and even posted a few recipes that literally cost maybe $3.00 to $4.00 to feed a family. I also gave some hints of my own that you and/or some of your readers may be interested in.

The post starts off talking about other things but once that's out of the way, I get to the matter of frugality.

http://diaryofasadhousewife-jo.blogspot.com/2009/11/good-morning-and-warm-hello-to-all-my.html

Thank you, again, for your support and advice -- looking forward to getting to know you better.

Peace and serenity to you and yours in 2010 and always,
~Jo
'The End Of The Rainbow: Life After Bankrutpcy'