PhotobucketWhy Be Frugal?

I consider frugality an art form and a religious conviction. I learned about paying cash for purchases, recycling and reusing just about everything and being generous to friends and those in need from my parents.

My faith instructs me all things are gifted by God and so I am compelled to be a good steward of my gifts. [The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to man. Psalm 115:16]

Photobucket

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Buying in bulk - pro or con?

Seth Fiegerman, MainStreet says, "Sometimes it's smart -- even thrifty -- to resist the lure of the 'deal.' You may end up spending less in the long run if you buy some items in smaller quantities."


His post, 15 things not to buy in bulk is a great cautionary read. While I don't agree with eveyrthing Fiegerman says, he does make some good points. Most perishible items can be frozen to extend their 'shelf life.' But we do each need to consider our own situation before making a purchasing decision.




Check out these related previous posts:

Revisiting my pantry
Tips for stretching your dollar

How about you? Are you a bulk item buyer?

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Hi Mary! Nice to meet you! Your blog is awesome! I love getting tips :)
I never buy in bulk because I end up not using it. I have only bought diapers in bulk and that's about all!
Have a great day!
Deborah